Tuesday, May 25, 2010

So....I've decided I'm going to dress like a pirate now.


Hello, and g'day. I've observed a decent amount of punk and indie fashion, and I've decided that I'm going to dress all crusty looking.  What is a Crustie you may ask? Check out this link: http://www.terminal-boredom.com/crustpants.html which explains what crust pants are. Crust pants are worn by punks, but more specifically crust punks.  Crust punks are a type of punk, and traditionally dress dirtier and more disheveled than normal punks already do; hence the name "crustie". This means patched, torn,safety-pinned and dirty looking clothes. Sounds fun eh? Anyways, punks have a sort of ethic, called "do it yourself", aka DIY. This idea comes from doing things for yourself, instead of relying on someone else. If you don't know how to fix something you find a way to learn.  Though I am not completely into the DIY idea, I definitely support it in regards to clothing and footwear.  I have chosen to act in DIY fashion and fix my clothes and to not spend extra money on fixing my appearance.

Although these pants are pretty ridiculous looking, I am in the process of creating a tamer version. If you look at the picture in my first post you can see a primitive version of them. I find this way of dressing to be so creative and trend-breaking, and that is my main reason for dressing this way. I've decided that I'm not going to buy any more pants if I don't have to. I feel that I have too much: 4 pairs of black skinny jeans, 2 of them have patches, soon to be crust pants; 1 pair of my already crusty pants, one pairs of regular fitting blue jeans, and then a pair of baggy camouflage pants. the rest i own are shorts or capri's that'll end up getting crusted up down the road anyway.  This plan not to buy new pants or shorts is to 1. save money. 2. add reasons to make my stuff more creative. and 3. to teach me to be frugal, and to not buy into consumerism (pun intended).  I'm going to work on modifying some of my clothes, I'd like to make pair of overalls, pants with a bum flap, and other strange but fun additions you don't normally see on clothing.

As far as shirts go, all of my old large and x-l shirts from my thicker days, which feel too baggy now, I'm going to cut apart and sew onto smaller sized plain or otherwise cover-able shirts that i can find for cheap costs at thrift stores.  I'm modifying some army uniforms shirts and other natural looking button-up apparel to fit my style also. For the indie look, I like the vests, v-necks, corduroy, and general style. All of this is outside the realm of hipsters though. (chuckles).


So why Crust and Indie? It's appealing to me, regarding creativity and the semi-natural look of some indie clothes. What does all of this mean? Not much i guess , I'm just rambling about something i"m excited about.  Sadly some common themes with punks are homelessness, substance abuse, theft, terrible attitudes, etc.  I of course, will not show this of rubbish in my character.  I'm going to bash pre-misconceptions, and stereotypes with my positive and loving attitude. I'm rather excited really, my conflicting look and actions with confuse others and draw more attention to my motives for Christ... I hope. You guys probably think I'm batty. what canya do. haha. The End.

Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment